Current:Home > NewsRekubit Exchange:U.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:U.S. Air Force conducts test launch of unarmed Minuteman III ICBM from California
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:49:17
The Rekubit ExchangeU.S. Air Force tested an unarmed intercontinental ballistic missile with nuclear capabilities early Wednesday morning, as the Minuteman III launched from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California at around 1:30 a.m. PT.
The long-range missile carried three test reentry vehicles and traveled roughly 4,200 miles from its launch site to the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the Air Force Global Strike Command said in a news release. Wednesday's launch was one of at least 300 nuclear tests that occurred previously, according to the agency, which noted that the latest one it came as part of a wider program meant to "demonstrate that the United States' nuclear deterrent is safe, secure, reliable and effective to deter twenty-first century threats and reassure our allies."
Calling the Minuteman III test launch an example of "routine and periodic activities" by the Air Force Global Strike Command, Wednesday's news release clarified that "this test is not the result of current world events."
"Test launches validate our deterrence capabilities to the American public and to our allies," said Gen. Thomas Bussiere, a commander with the Air Force Global Strike Command, in a statement included in the release. The agency added that test launches like this one "verify the accuracy and reliability of the ICBM weapon system, providing valuable data to ensure a continued safe, secure and effective nuclear deterrent."
The Vandenberg Space Force Base, located along the Pacific Coast in Santa Barbara, shared a similar statement about the then-upcoming test launch in late August, saying it had been scheduled years in advance. U.S. officials notified the Russian government about their plans to carry out the test ahead of Wednesday's launch, which is consistent with standard procedures under the Hague Code of Conduct, the space force base said.
The Hague Code of Conduct Against Ballistic Missile Proliferation was signed in November 2002 to regulate the use of ballistic missiles and weapons of mass destructions, and has since increased its membership from 93 to 143 signatories. Members who have signed the Hague Code "voluntarily commit themselves politically to provide pre-launch notifications (PLNs) on ballistic missile and space-launch vehicle launches (SLVs) and test flights," according to the official website for the agreement.
- In:
- Nuclear Weapons
- U.S. Air Force
- California
- Missile Launch
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Small twin
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Small twin
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
'Most Whopper
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon